This is my list of my favourite films of 2017. For the avoidance of doubt David Lynch’s Twin Peaks: The Return is the single most impressive audio visual experience of 2017. I even named it my #1 of the year on my Sight and Sound ballot, where the terms of inclusion for eligibility are wide and varied. With my own list though, I like to be a little stricter, which is why it’s not included here.
1. Visages Villages. Agnes Varda and JR, France.
2. Personal Shopper. Olivier Assayas, France.
3. Toni Erdmann. Maren Ade, Germany.
4. The Graduation. Claire Simon, France.
5. Good Time. Safdie Brothers, US.
6. Lost City Of Z. James Gray, US.
7. The Meyerowitz Stories (New and Selected). Noah Baumbach, US.
8. Slack Bay. Bruno Dumont, France.
9. 20th Century Women. Mike Mills, US.
10. Nocturama. Bertrand Bonello, France.
11. Silence. Martin Scorsese, US.
12. Get Out. Jordan Peele, US.
13. Mother. Darren Aronofsky, US.
14. Rules Don’t Apply. Warren Beatty, US.
15. Thor. Ragnarok. Taika Waititi, US.